1.7 Long Island -through 1/3/55

Summer, 1953

On June 1 Philip received an offer from Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. We were startled, delighted and pained. After the first shock we settled down to negotiations. U.C.L.A. wanted to keep Philip but could offer neither money nor working conditions nor colleagues to compare. The final terms offered by PIB were such that we accepted (though not without much thinking & weighing & soul-searching) … associate professorship at $9600; a much larger body of graduate students and several well-known men to work with; fewer teaching hours and those at the graduate level only; a choice of research projects; nearness to many other large centers of research.

After the decision was made, then time flew. We sold the car and the piano, arranged for the moving of the furniture, left the house in the hands of our attorney (Alan H. Cassman) and flew to Montrose (after several farewell parties). We arrived at Montrose, to visit Mary & John, with a very ill baby. After 2 days we flew on to Washington, D.C., to live temporarily with Philip’s parents.

Philip left Thea & the children there while he went to New York to meet his new colleagues and to choose a school district and purchase a house. He returned to Rockville for a vacation. Then he flew to Providence to present a paper at the Fourth Symposium on Plasticity.

On September 4 Thea and the three children went to N.Y. to meet Philip and to see the new home for the first time.

Shortly the furniture was moved in, Sue was entered in the new school, the house in Los Angeles was sold and the new house was paid for.

The prognosis is good. Philip is pleased with his new position, Thea likes the nice little old house, Sue enjoys her school, the children find the neighborhood friendly.

Christmas, 1953

Jolly holiday with three happy little ones.

January 3, 1954

Eleven years!

How fast it speeds and how much fun.

January, 1954

Philip went to Providence on business overnight. This was not a meeting but for the purpose of talking over mutual research interests with some men there.

January 30, 1954

We bought a 1951 Willys Overland Station Wagon today. In good condition, fine clean appearance. $950.00

January 4, 1954

The tonsils of Philip Tully were removed today. All is well.

April 4, 1954

Sue went to Atlantic City for two weeks to visit her grandparents and to recuperate from mumps and bronchitis. Her first long trip away from home; our first long period without one of the children.

April 8, 1954

We are beginning a regular plan of taking a day off to be together but away from children and household cares.

May, 1954

Philip received a “feeler” from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. He said “not at this time.” Nicholas Hoff told President Rogers about it: result is a “token raise” of $533 for next year.

June, 1954

Philip attended a West Coast conference in Los Angeles and Pasadena.

September, 1954

Mr. Trott, after six months of observation and testing, has decided to move Sue up a grade from second to third. We have asked him to postpone the move till after her Nov. tonsillectomy.

December, 1954

Christmas, better and better!

January 3, 1955

Twelve years.

Impressive, eh wot!

January 3, 1955

Sue was accelerated, i.e., moved from second to third grade today.