In her pre-opera talk on October 28, 2013,Â DesirÃ©e MaysÂ referred toÂ The Flying DutchmanÂ asÂ Wagner-Lite. Since I regard â€œLite Beerâ€ as an abomination, I donâ€™t entirely like her term â€“ Iâ€™d rather call itÂ Wagner-Accessible orÂ Wagner-User-Friendly. The music is still powerful, but I walk away with a couple of actual melodies running through my head; whereas I walk away from a performance ofÂ The RingÂ thoroughly awed by the cumulative effect and a head full of motifs fighting for my attention.Â Continue reading
- The Magic Flute Review â€“ Pocket Opera is Magic
- Madama Butterfly Review â€“ Opera San Joseâ€™s Provocative Take on Pucciniâ€™s Classic Favorite
- Elixir of Love Review â€“ West Bay Opera produces another gem
- GALA Review â€“ West Bay Opera starts a tradition?
- Hansel & Gretel Review â€“ An Afternoon of Sheer Delight