In her pre-opera talk on October 28, 2013,¬†Desir…e Mays¬†referred to¬†The Flying Dutchman¬†as¬†Wagner-Lite. Since I regard “Lite Beer” as an abomination, I don’t entirely like her term – I’d rather call it¬†Wagner-Accessible or¬†Wagner-User-Friendly. The music is still powerful, but I walk away with a couple of actual melodies running through my head; whereas I walk away from a performance of¬†The Ring¬†thoroughly awed by the cumulative effect and a head full of motifs fighting for my attention.¬† Continue reading
- The Magic Flute Review – Pocket Opera is Magic
- Madama Butterfly Review – Opera San Jose’s Provocative Take on Puccini’s Classic Favorite
- Elixir of Love Review – West Bay Opera produces another gem
- GALA Review – West Bay Opera starts a tradition?
- Hansel & Gretel Review – An Afternoon of Sheer Delight